Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Worth Far More Than Rubies

Yesterday was the big day for Brenna...entering into her teen years!  Brad and I had been working hard to figure out something meaningful to do for her.  We had a couple ideas that we thought we were settled with, even made a purchase in that direction.  Then a "chance meeting" with Connie in Safeway (you know I don't believe that was by chance...) set us into the perfect direction.

Here's a glimpse into where my heart has been in preparing for this.  I know that since the time Brenna was a babe in my arms, I have been speaking words to her and over her about her worth, how precious she is, how wonderfully made she is, how beautiful and gentle her spirit is...It is so important to me that she grows up with a strong sense of her worth, that it is strongly and clearly defined before she is bombarded by all the other definitions of worth out there.  I don't ever want her to have to look to anyone or anything to find her value.  Before she leaves our home, I want her to know her worth so strongly, that if anyone tries to tell her anything less than that, she will know to run the other way.  I don't ever want her to settle...in any relationship.  I don't ever want her to hold herself up to a standard that is first and foremost unattainable, and secondly is plastic.  The world has such a morphed and twisted idea of what value is, and what a woman should be to be "successful" and "beautiful" and "acceptable". 

So, here is a portion of the letter we read to Brenna last night:

"...our prayer for you is that, with each passing year, you grow into the fulfillment of the Proverbs 31 Woman.  In Proverbs 31, there is an outline for what a woman of noble character looks like in the eyes of the Lord.  We are praying that this is always what you strive to be.

In the eyes of the world, there are many ways you could define being a woman.  So much of that is based on your looks and what you have.  Are you "pretty enough"?  Do you have the "right" clothes?  Do you have the "right" friends?  Do you say the "right" things?

Now is the time in your life to really define how you are going to measure yourself.  How are you going to define yourself?  Who are you going to try to please?  Where are you going to find your acceptance?

We pray that you will always use the model of the Proverbs 31 Woman to measure yourself, that you will define yourself based on these principles, that you will seek above all to please the Lord, and that you will find your acceptance in Him. 

Here are some key principles that we see in you already and that we see developing in you:"

(We then outlined 12 points for her, such as working diligently, keeping physically fit, being productive and wise, having compassion, having charity and love, being prepared, having confidence and trust in the Lord, carrying herself with dignity, speaking with wisdom, not being lazy, being more concerned with integrity and inner beauty than physical beauty....)  Then:

"The gift we have for you is meant to be a reminder of all these things.  As you look at it each day, we hope that you will be quick to remember to be a young woman who is full of discipline and integrity.  We pray that others will be drawn to you for all the right reasons, and that they will see in you the beauty of who you genuinely are.

Above all, we pray that you will not be drawn into the idea of the world's beauty, but that you will always be fully confident that:

"a woman of noble character is worth far more than rubies." (v. 10)

Then we gave her this:

A ruby ring to remind her of her worth.


Oh, I love this girl so much.  I know I've said it many times, but I'm not kidding when I say I want to be more like Brenna.  Tender moment.

And the day was not all serious and heavy, let me tell you.  We laughed so hard at dinner, thanks to Alex's unintentional comedy.  He realized he didn't have a card for his sister, so he improvised:


This is a card that was recently given to him by his grandparents.  The top says "Grandson".  He scribbled it out and wrote "Sister".  Where it says "holidays", he wrote "birthdays".  I guess it's innovative.  But we laughed so hard...

It says, "Thinking of you at the holidays birthdays and wishing you all the joys of the season."

And the inside?


"Alex brenna ~ Thinking of you with love all year because you're so very special.  Have a wonderful holiday birthday!  Love! Grampers & Grammers Alex
You make us me so proud!

Laughter is a great gift!

4 comments:

  1. Dearest Brad and Leanne, what an amazing thing you two did! How detailed and thoughtful, a night she will remember, and the ring is gorgeous too! And Alex, way to improvise!!!! I think that Jesus would say, "well done, good and faithful servants!"

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Thats awesome! I love the ring. Brenna, you're one of a kind girl. I have never met anyone so kind and caring. A lot of times I wish I was more like you. Your so easy to talk to!

    Love,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to go! Love this, what a moment....I love what you spoke over her, Proverbs 31 woman. Perfect for Brenna. She does have such worth. Precious, she is....

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wonderful, brought a tear to my eye! I love this girl too, she is extra special. Happy Birthday Brenna. What a thoughtful gift, it happens to be pretty, but mostly it was God breathed. Amen!

    ReplyDelete