Wednesday, December 22, 2010

12 Days of Breakfast ~ Day 7 ~ Overnight French Toast

Happy, happy, happy!  Brad and I went out last night and almost completed all the shopping in one big swoop!  Then we came home and wrapped every single thing, finishing at 12:30 this morning.  I feel so much better about this rapidly approaching day now.  And, most happy of all?  Brad is now on vacation until January 3rd!!  I am so very glad about that.  I hope at some point today to go sit in a booth in a Mexican restaurant and share a big bowl of chips and salsa.  After we go for a run together so I can run away from this cold that is trying to find a home in my face.  We briefly considered running to the restaurant, eating chips and salsa, then running home.  But the reality is we are way to old for that.  Anyway:

Day 7!  Over the half-way point!!  This is a yummy, ultra-simple French toast recipe that you bake in the oven after assembling it the night before.  My kind of meal.  Costco has a great cinnamon/raisin bread that is great in this recipe.  I've also noticed they have an apple strudel bread that I'm guessing would be fabulous in this.  I may try that this week!

Overnight French Toast

6 slices Cinnamon Bread (Or cinnamon/raisin)
6 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups egg nog (I detest store-bought egg nog, so have made this with plain milk.  If you do that, add in some nutmeg, maybe 1/4 tsp.  Or use homemade egg nog.  Or make your family happy and use any kind of egg nog.)
2 TBSP melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Butter or apply non-stick spray to a 9x13 baking dish.  Layer bread slices in dish.  You may need more than 6 slices, depending on the bread you use.  Just cover the bottom of the dish.  Whisk together the eggs and sugar.  Add remaining ingredients and whisk well.  Pour over bread slices.  Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight, or until ready to bake.

Remove from refrigerator 20-30 minutes before baking.

Heat oven to 375.  Bake French toast until browned, about 20-30 minutes.

Couple more days to go:  be still for a moment and enjoy the beauty of this season!

No comments:

Post a Comment