Thursday, December 16, 2010

12 Days of Breakfast ~ Day 4 ~ Mocha Nut Breakfast Cookie

In honor of this being the Day 4 recipe, I just ate 4 of these cookies.  There.  I feel better.  Confession is good for the soul.

And I must admit, I added on "Breakfast Cookie" just to make it seem like breakfast.  Truth be told, it's just a cookie.  But gobs of people have a mocha for breakfast, right?  So if you are one who would prefer your mocha with a side of butter, this is the breakfast for you!

I've been working this recipe out the last couple days, and I think it's pretty good.  I'm still deciding how to top these.  I like them drizzled with chocolate.  I like them dusted with powdered sugar.  I tried rolling them in a chocolate/espresso powder, and that was too much.  I didn't like the bite.  I prefer to be hit with the sweet.

But however they are topped, I think they would be great with your Christmas morning coffee!



Mocha Nut Breakfast Cookies

1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 TBSP espresso powder
1/4 cup Hershey Special Dark baking cocoa
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans  (If you are anti-nut, you can leave them out, but they really are a great addition.)

Combine softened butter, sugar, and vanilla.  Beat until combined.  Add espresso powder, cocoa, and salt.  Blend well.  Add flour and stir until just combined.  Stir in nuts.

Form into 1-inch balls.  Bake at 325 for 12-14 minutes.  Let cool slightly, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.  When cool, dust with powdered sugar, or drizzle with melted chocolate.  Store in an airtight container, or leave out on a plate to graze on throughout the day.  Maybe eat 4 for breakfast.

1 comment:

  1. thank you friend, can't wait to make these!And on top of all that you are using just what I got last night 'dark chocolate cocoa'....yeeeehawwww!

    ReplyDelete