Tuesday, December 21, 2010

12 Days of Breakfast ~ Day 6 ~ Scones!

I am only at day 6?  Sheesh.  And there's only how many days until Christmas?  Don't tell me.  I can't handle the answer to that right now.

This is a fun, easy and yummy recipe I got from a friend awhile ago.  I've made them many different ways, and they always turn out great.  Experiment away with these!



Coffee Creamer Scones

4 cups flour
3 TBSP sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup cold butter (do I need to say "no substitutions"?  BUTTER!)
1 egg, separated
1 1/2 cups refrigerated non-dairy coffee creamer, flavor of your choice
1 cup chocolate chips

(When I made these recently, I used the "creme brulee" flavor, and they were fabulous.  The flavor is subtle, but yummy.)

In a bowl, combine first 5 ingredients.  Cut in the cold butter until crumbly.  (You should have chunks of butter remaining, about pea-sized.)  In a bowl, whisk egg yolk and creamer.  Add to dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.  Do not overmix.  It may not seem all combined, but that will happen when you knead it.  Add in chocolate chips, mix in as well as you can.  On a lightly floured surface, knead dough 10 times.  Divide dough in half.  Gently shape each portion into a 7-inch circle.  Cut each circle, like you are cutting a pizza, into 8 wedges.  Separate wedges and place on parchment-lined baking sheet.  Beat egg white with a fork until foamy, brush over tops of scones.  Sprinkle each with a little sugar.

Bake at 425 for 15-17 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment