Monday, December 13, 2010

12 Days of Breakfast ~ Day Two ~ Peach-Topped French Toast

Here is a delicious option for you.  And if you don't like peaches?  Please don't tell me that.  I like to live a sheltered life.  A life in which all is right in the world and everyone has good sense.  I found out this summer that I have a brother - a blood relative! - who does not like peaches.  I am still feeling the sting of that wound.  So, please, keep it to yourself.  I'm feeling a little fragile right now.  But, I will add that you could do the same recipe with apples and it would be fabulous.  If I made it with apples, I would probably increase the cinnamon and lighten up on the lemon juice.  Just a thought.

The peach part of this recipe is actually just an extremely delicious pie filling.  When Brad and I were newly married, one of our favorite desserts was to make this and, while it was still hot, scoop it over vanilla ice cream.  Nevermind the pie crust.  Yum.  I may have to make that over winter break. 

For the French toast, go grab a loaf of "French Toast Bread" at Safeway.  It is thick-sliced, pre-flavored, and oh-so-good.  Just make up a batter with a few eggs and a splash or two of milk, whisk it up, and dip your bread in the egg.  Slap it on a griddle and cook it on each side.  Then scoop up this peachy masterpiece over the top and you have a fantastic breakfast.  You can make the peach part the night before if you are really into stream-lining your morning.  If you think like Brad, you would plop some whipped cream on top.  I could add in some coconut and slivered almonds and pretend I'm sitting with Kari at Blueberry Hills.  There I go again, fantasizing through my taste buds.  I kid you not when I tell you that I am salivating right now....I'll pull myself together.

Peach Topping 

1 1/2 TBSP cornstarch
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
4 cups peaches (I know they aren't exactly in season.  If you've canned your own, I cannot think of a better way to use them.  If not, you can use frozen peaches, or even store-bought canned will do.)

Mix together in a saucepan, heat until thickened and nearing a boil.

Remove from heat and add:
1 TBSP butter
1 TBSP lemon juice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg

Serve over warm pieces of French toast and take a moment to love life.  Taste.  What a beautiful gift! 

I know this is more of a "dessert" than a breakfast, but I won't apologize.  I may even make this for dinner in the near future.  I mean, this whole "muffin" thing is just a way to have cake for breakfast.  So if cake is now acceptable for breakfast, why can't pie filling be okay for dinner?  AMEN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment