Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tasty Tuesday ~ White Chicken Chili

Prepare yourself for a bowl full of yum if you make this.  I am already daydreaming about lunch so I can have more of this.  So warming from the inside.  I am all about comfort food right now, and this one hits comfort food smack dab on the top of the head.

This is from a recipe my brother gave me.  I tweaked it some, just to make it bigger and gentler for the tender tummies of the family.  I did take a couple pictures of this perty dish, but then realized that we are still working off this partial computer and I have no way of getting my picture here.  But close your eyes and create your own image.  Or, better yet, just make it and you can see it all you want!


White Chicken Chili

About 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (I bought one of the value packs from Safeway and used all of it.)
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 TBSP oil
1 TBSP butter (plus additional for later)
flour (about 1/8 cup or so)
2 (15.5 oz) cans small white beans, rinsed and drained
2 (15.5 oz) cans white cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
The equivalent of one box chicken broth.  Shoot.  I threw it out before I bothered to check how many ounces.  You know it, I'm sure:  the Swansons tall rectangular box with the pop back lid?  One of those.
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
cayenne pepper if you want that sort of kick
1 1/2 cups sour cream
3/4 cup whipping cream

In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil and 1 TBSP butter until melted together.  Add cubed chicken and diced onion.  Cook until chicken is no longer pink.  Add garlic the last couple minutes of cooking chicken. 

With a slotted spoon, remove chicken and onion from skillet and transfer to a large soup pot.  Add in beans and green chilies.

Keep skillet over the heat and add additional tablespoon of butter.  When melted in, add flour and whisk together, cook a bit while continuing to whisk.  Gradually add chicken stock, continuing to whisk.  When all chicken stock is combined, allow to come just to a boil, whisking occasionally.  Add salt, pepper, oregano, and cayenne. 

Pour stock mix over chicken in soup pot, stirring to combine thoroughly.  Place over low heat, and let simmer for 30-40 minutes.

Just before serving, stir in sour cream and whipping cream.

Yummy.  So yummy.  Serve with some hot cornbread and you've got yourself a very hearty, comfort-food meal!  This would be a great football game food for this weekend, too!

1 comment:

  1. Oh yah, my fam eats this one all the time, and we ALL love it!

    ReplyDelete