Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 Year in Review

Time to say goodbye to another year...already?  And goodbye also to a decade.  Wow.  A sure way to make your life go by too quickly is to measure it by the decade.  Whoosh.  There it goes. 

I was thinking this afternoon about 10 years ago today.  Remember all the hype surrounding Y2K?  What WOULD those poor computers do when the date stamp rolled over from 99 to 00??  Would the grocery stores run out of food??  Would our water run out??  And I remember in my childhood wondering what my life would be like in the year 2000...when I would be SO old!  We snatched the kids up out of bed right at midnight and took this picture, then slid them back to bed none the wiser.  I wanted to capture our family right as the world took a turn into the 2000's.




And now, here I find myself 10 years further down the road.  Older yet still!  And with my complete family.  To look at that picture now, I see a gaping hole where Beth would one day be.

And 2009?  It's been a year.  Not a horrible year, but it's had its difficult moments.  Not an off-the-chart-great year, but it's had its great moments.  I'm not too sad to see this year go.  I'm looking forward to a new year.  New starts.  Some changes on the way.  Change makes me a bit nervous, so I'm going to have to stare down some fears.  That's a good thing.  Right?  Right.

I saw these 20 questions on another blog and thought it would be a fun way to summarize my 2009!

1.  What did you do in 2009 that you had never done before?

The first thing that came to my mind was this:




And this:




2.  Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions and will you make more this year?

I made some vague resolutions last year that I was going to face some fears and try new things.  That I did.  In the form of running, writing, and stepping outside of myself.  And I think I will make more of the same this year.  I also want to cut back on my sugar intake, which I think I also say every year.
 
3.  Did anyone close to you give birth?

Not close enough to give me a baby fix, no.  But that is coming quickly in our family...prayerfully not too quickly.  Can't wait to meet baby Kaylee!

4.  Did anyone close to you die?

Only my canine nephew.  (Archie's brother, Amos.)  We are very suspicious that Archie is following closely behind.  :(



 5.  What places have you visited?

The only new place was the beloved Lake Entiat.  I am visiting her again in July!

6.  What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?

This is complicated.  A job, I think.  Better sleep, for sure.  Hmm.  That one makes me stop and think...

7.  What date in 2009 will be etched in your memory and why?

I would have to go with my birthday:  September 10th, because it was the big 4-0 and was such a happy day!




8.  What was your biggest achievement this year?
For sure this:




And in a different way, helping Beth through a rocky emotionally-growing patch that grew me up as a mom.

9.  Did you suffer any illness or injury in 2009?

Yep, my stress fracture in my foot.  Very blessed that nothing more serious than that!




10.  What was the best thing you bought?

Funny that everything that comes to mind is a food item!  Reese's Dark (mini-sized).  Caramel Brulee lattes.  Mint-truffle filled dark chocolate Kisses.  Frozen guacamole from Costo.  I could really get hung up here, so I'll leave it at that.

11.  Where did most of your money go?

Other than the obvious mortgage, it would probably be a tie between a son's new bassoon and health care.  This was a very draining year.

12.  What song will most remind you of 2009?

Oh, wow.  Probably "How He Loves" by The David Crowder Band.  Too complicated to list why here.

And "Rockin' Robin" because that was my squad's dance song this year for competition.

13.  What do you wish you would have done more of?

I wish I would have spent more time in the kitchen with my girls.

14.  What do you wish you would have done less of?

Worrying about stuff.

15.  What was your favorite tv program?

Just one??  I love The Office and The Biggest Loser equally.  And The Amazing Race.

16.  What was the best book you read in 2009?

Oh, my goodness.  Probably whatever one I was reading at the time.  I love just about any book I read.  On my list for January is "The Help" and the new Mitch Albom one...can't even remember the name.

17.  What was your favorite movie of the year?

Easy:  The Blindside.

18.  What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?

Well, I already kind of answered this one, but I was 40 and I had a great day with Brad:  up to Seattle to my favorite cupcake store is what I'll most remember.  And having 16 2nd & 3rd grade girls throw me a surprise party!




19.  What political issue stirred you this year?

Well, this was a year to be stirred, wasn't it?  Going by "issue" it would definitely be health care reform.  Having Brad work in the health care field and seeing some of the potential changes coming down the pike is scary.

20.  Who was the best new person you met?
Everyone and anyone I met.  A few new acquaintances have changed into friends and I hope will grow into even closer friends throughout 2010!  (Plus, I kinda sorta met Matt Hasselbeck if you count that I rode a wave runner down to his vacation house and took pictures and even saw him from a distance before getting panicky and making Brad zoom away.  Does that count??)

Happy New Year!!


10 years later~bring on 2010!!

3 comments:

  1. love this picture, happy new year friend. Can't wait for this coming one with a friend such as yourself........

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fun blog to read. I liked the top 20 moments of 2009!
    By the way, thanks for the tip on how to upload pictures. It is so much easier now!!!
    And... the boys love the books you bought them when they were born. They really like the Horton books. We use to read them to them when they were infants, and then we put them away to save them from their rip happy fingers, but now we pull them out and read them at bedtime. It's been fun to see those books come back into the circle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carlsons - Looking forward to 2010 and the memories that will be made. We are so blessed to have you in our lives! ~Jack

    ReplyDelete