Thursday, December 3, 2009

12 Days of Baking ~ Day 2

Today's recipe is one of my all-time favorites.  I have been eating these every Christmas since I was about 10 years old or so.  My Grandma Hibdon made these and passed on her recipe to me.  I so clearly remember the first year I ate these...this grandma loved to bake, and put out a great spread on this particular Christmas.  I loved them so much, that when we packed up our car to make the long drive home, she handed me a shoe box filled with them!  Oh, you can imagine what that did to me!  I climbed into the rear-facing back seat of the Ford Country Squire station wagon (complete with faux wood side panels, thank you very much) and munched these treats all the way home.  If I remember correctly, the box was empty when we pulled into our driveway...

And this is such a busy season, we really need to take care to keep up with our protein.  I'd hate to run out of energy with so much to do.  So these could pretty much be called a health food in a twisted sort of way.

So here we are with my beloved Peanut Butter/Wheatie Balls!




Peanut Butter/Wheatie Balls

1 cup sugar
1 cup light Karo syrup
2 cups peanut butter
6 cups Wheaties cereal

In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and Karo.  Stir while heating over medium low heat until mixture just barely starts to boil.  (If you cook it any longer you will end up with peanut butter rocks.)

Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter.  Stir until the mixture is smooth and well-combined.  Pour over Wheaties.  Mix well and form into 1-inch-ish balls.  Place on waxed paper to cool.  Do not pack these together into balls, they will get too tough.  I like to use my small cookie scoop for these. 

And, because I just love chocolate with my peanut butter, I top mine with a bit of chocolate.  To do that, just put about 1/3 cup chocolate chips in a non-pleated freezer strength baggie.  Add 1/2 tsp. butter.  Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds.  Knead the chocolate to continue melting.  Continue heating if necessary.  Snip a tiny hole in the corner of the baggie and pipe chocolate onto peanut butter balls.  This would also be good on the Swedish Snowballs from yesterday!

These freeze great.  Again, Marlece, just eat them frozen.  Otherwise, thaw them on a plate and then top with chocolate if desired.

Also, these really truly are better with the plain 'ole Jiff peanut butter.  For this batch, I used the Kirkland organic that I had and they just aren't as good.  So get yourself some Jiff!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I loved these cookies everytime Gramma made them, except she alwasy 'packed' hers into balls, so they were hard to eat! Oh, how I miss her so very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanne, thanks for the 'freezer' tip. I will try this tomorrow........yum, yum....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peanut Butter Quickies! Grandma made us all love them! I love your way of adding choc. to them..I'll try it! More festive!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete