Tuesday, December 15, 2009

12 Days of Baking ~ Day 8

Okay, really now.  Are we only on day 8??!  Are you all sick of this already?

So, here's the thing.  This recipe is going to sound like a hot mess.  It's probably going to make you think I've finally taken that last step off the ledge of sanity.  You'll probably start to question every recipe I've ever recommended.  It's just one of those that you will have to take my word for.  I wish I could have you take a bite and then give you the recipe.

I kept reading about these from a couple sources I highly esteem for their recipes.  After about the fourth mention of something called "Cake Balls", I decided to give it a try.  I made these for the school carnival bake sale last year, and was begged for the recipe.  It's one of those recipes that tastes phenomenal, and then you are embarrassed to admit what it is.  Everyone that has eaten them asks how to make them.  When I tell them, they always respond with, "You're kidding!"  But I'm not.  They are not the prettiest little things, and they are not a clean one to make.  But oh, boy, are they tasty!  Take a chance and give these a try!

(Because they look so Christmasy, I used Red Velvet Cake, but you can really do any combination.  The chocolate cake/chocolate frosting is dynamite!)




Cake Balls

1 Box Red Velvet Cake Mix
1 can Cream Cheese frosting
White Chocolate Chips or White Candy Coating/Almond Bark
(yes, that's it!)

Prepare cake according to box directions, and bake in a 9x13 pan.  Let cool, then crumble into a large bowl.  Add frosting and combine together.  (You can be all neat about it and use a spoon, but I just get in there with my hands and mush it all together.  It's as relaxing to me as playing with play-dough.)  Using a cookie scoop, shape into 1-inch balls and place on parchment-lined cookie sheets.  Put cookie sheets in the refrigerator to chill for about 1 hour.




In a small bowl, melt chips according to package directions.  (Make sure and add the shortening that it calls for!)

Dip cake balls into the melted chips to coat completely.  This is Messy.  Yes, that's messy with a capital "M"!  And the more you do, the more cake crumbs get into the chips, and then it becomes a red-ish coating.  But it looks a little extra Christmasy that way, so I don't mind.  If it's perfection and neatness you are after, you will be frustrated with this.  But if it's yum-yum-yummy you are after, you've hit the jackpot.  Or at least a yummy recipe!




These can be refrigerated or not, or just eaten.  I think they are great little gifts.  Just a few in a small cellophane bag look pretty doggone cute.


1 comment:

  1. Ok girl, these are AMAZING, I can't wait to go get them started, yawzaaaaaaaaa!!!!Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete