Friday, December 4, 2009

12 Days of Baking ~ Day 3

Alrighty, here we go with Day 3!  I think I just may say this everyday, but I really think this cookie is one of my very favorites!  I can't remember where I got this recipe, but have been making them for the last 15 years, at least.  They are so, so yummy.  I like these best after I have warmed them slightly in the microwave so the candy gets soft and the chocolate gets all melty.  Make sure to have a cold, cold glass of milk close by!

They couldn't possibly be any easier, and they are really a hit at cookie exchanges or as gifts.




Chocolate Mint Patty Cookies

1 box chocolate cake mix (I prefer Betty Crocker Super Moist Chocolate Fudge)
1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening (I know...I'll explain further in the recipe)
2 eggs
1 TBSP water
powdered sugar
48 mini peppermint patties (York,or it's cheaper to by the Pearson's brand at Costco)

In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, shortening, eggs and water.  Now, I have made these with my beloved butter, and the problem is that they just spread a bit too much.  If you are going to choose to use butter anyway, for sure omit the tablespoon of water.  The cookies will still be great, just a bit thinner.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls (use your small cookie scoop!) and roll in powdered sugar.  Place 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined cookie sheets.  Bake at 375 for 7-8 minutes or until edges are just set.  Remove from oven and immediately press mint into center of each cookie.  Let set on cookie sheet for 2 minutes.  Carefully remove onto cooling racks and let cool completely.

My kids love these with hot chocolate, I love them with ice cold milk.  I hope you will love them too!

Now we are going to start a busy weekend of birthday fun, so no more recipes until Monday.  You have all weekend to try these!

No comments:

Post a Comment