Wednesday, December 16, 2009

12 Days of Baking ~ Day 9

This is another recipe passed down from my Grandma Bryan.  She made these every year, my mom made them every year, and I make them occasionally.  As a child, I loved these.  They looked so beautiful to me, so fancy.  As an adult, I like them.  They are easy to make and do look great on a full platter of different things.  Just enough of a different look to make them stand out!  Here you go:




Cathedral Windows

1 (4 oz.) bar Baker's German Sweet Chocolate Bar
1/4 cup butter
~melt together in a large saucepan over low heat.
Add:
1 well-beaten egg
1 cup powdered sugar
1 pkg. colored mini marshmallows
1/2 cup chopped walnuts




Cool well.  Lay out 2 sheets of foil with a sheet of plastic wrap on each sheet.  On the plastic wrap, lay down about 1 cup of shredded coconut in a long strip. 




Place 1/2 the marshmallow mixture onto each strip of coconut.  Bring the plastic wrap up on the sides of the marshmallows and start forming into a log shape, bringing the coconut up on the sides and top.  Sprinkle more coconut on top if needed.




Wrap tightly in plastic and then in foil.  Place in freezer.




To serve, slice frozen logs into 1/2 inch slices.


1 comment:

  1. Now we're talking! For such a simple recipe, these are so good. My favorite as a kid and I still LOVE them today. I like to eat them frozen though. I think they lose something when they thaw out. everyone should try these, don't let the marshmellows fool you.
    darrlyn

    ReplyDelete