Wednesday, March 10, 2010

CCC #1 ~ Super Dooper Scoopers

Quick...this is a quiz...what is CCC???  Chocolate Chip Cookies, of course!  I am sorry to say that I let Chocolate Chip Cookie week begin without any acknowledgement.  Actually, without any memory of it, too.  I was so craving a warm chocolate chip cookie a couple days ago.  I truly felt like I needed it that night.  And I am proud to say I resisted.  And survived.  But now I know it was my stomach trying valiantly to communicate with my brain, to jog its memory of what this week is meant to be.

It didn't happen until last night, I had the sudden memory return that March 7-15 is Chocolate Chip Cookie week!  According to...?  I don't know, and I don't care.  It just gives me great pleasure to celebrate this week with a bunch of chocolate chip cookie recipes.  Every day?  I don't know about that.  But we'll see how it goes. 

The first is a giant-sized super dooper cookie.  They are great for a "special occasion" cookie, for a party, for a gift to anyone you love...and they are a fun treat for kids, because anything big is extra special, right?  This recipe comes from a cookbook I've had for many years, by Cristina Ferrare, who Oprah calls one of the best cooks she knows.  Although she has yet to cook for me, I can say that I love all her recipes very much.  I hope you can try this and that you enjoy it!



Super Dooper Scoopers

2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar (the recipe calls for dark, I usually only have light.  use what you like.)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 large eggs, room temperature
3 cups chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts (I like pecans because it reminds me of chocolate pecan pie, but walnuts are great, too.  or leave them out if you must.)
1 cup raisins (you KNOW I leave this out.  yuck!  but if you are into that sort of thing, go for it.)

In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and salt.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugars and vanilla together with an electric mixer until well-blended.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well-combined.  Stir in the flour mixture until blended.  Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.

Preheat oven to 275.  Yes, 275.  Not a typo.  Scoop dough onto cookie sheet using a 1/4 cup measuring cup or a medium sized ice cream scoop.  Do not crowd these onto the cookie sheet or the heat won't circulate.  I only cook 3 cookies per sheet with this recipe, just leave about 3 inches between the cookie dough scoops.

Bake until the cookies are set and light golden brown, about 30 minutes.  The low, slow baking is part of this cookie.  You'll be glad you did.

Let cool for a couple minutes on cookie sheet, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.

I did have one last night.  And it was good.  Then I sent the rest to Brad's office so I wouldn't be tempted to have another or three.  I regret that a bit because I would certainly enjoy one right about now.  Oh, yes I would.

this makes me salivate.

1 comment:

  1. You only had one? I'm impressed. They do look yummy. I plan to try them as today is Mack's last basketball game and that calls for celebration. Can't guarantee I will only eat one though! Have a great day and thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete