Monday, June 27, 2011

Coffee and Brownies, The Summer Way

Happy 1st Day of No School to me!  Oh, I am already loving this.  It feels so good to let the brain and body slow down a bit.  I love being home and hearing the conversation my kids are having.  All those little things are feeling pretty good today.  I have a list a mile long that I need to begin tackling, and I have done none of it.  Really, all I've done today so far is drink coffee, watch Wimbledon, do my Bible study, chat with a friend...it feels like summer!

Last night, I took brownies to a whole new, ridiculous level.  I was carrying around this curiosity in my mind, and decided to act on it.  Awhile ago, I posted this recipe for S'More Brownies.  They are so good.  So good.  And then another time, I posted these variations of S'Mores from the Food Network magazine.  My favorite, by far, of that grouping is the S'Mores made with York Peppermint Patties.  So I combined those two loves and made York S'More Brownies.  YUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMYYYYY!!!!!!   I love, love, love these.  They provide a great opportunity to practice self-control.

Peppermint Patty S'More Brownies

1 package brownie mix (I use Ghiradelli), prepare as directed on box
chocolate graham crackers
York Peppermint Patties
Marshmallows

Pour half the prepared brownie batter into a greased 9x9 baking dish.  Top batter with chocolate graham crackers.  Top crackers with York Patties.  Top with marshmallows.  Pour remaining batter over marshmallows.  Bake brownies as directed.  Let cool.  (I like these best when they are warm and the Patties are gooey.)

Next time I make these, and there will be a next time, I'm going to try them with the new marshmallow Stackers.  Have you seen these?  GENIUS!  I'm not sure how these marshmallows work roasting over a fire, but for those of us who like to zap a S'More in the microwave, they work beautifully.

And, in related taste-bud happiness, The Pioneer Woman did a very enticing post on iced coffee.  The way she layed it all out, it made me think I needed to make some her way.  I was totally set to try her method when a divine conversation led to me getting my hands on a cold water coffee extractor.  This beauty is from the 1970s.



The instructions come complete with hand drawn people showing you how to use it.  I made my first batch of coffee extract yesterday, and today enjoyed a most delicious cup of iced coffee.  I'm in love.  Again.  I highly, highly recommend you make yourself some cold water coffee extract, either with a gizmo or with The Pioneer Woman's easy method.  Your taste buds will thank you.  (I used a small bit of coffee extract, milk, and 2 TBSP of Hershey Special Dark chocolate syrup.  Shook it all up with some crushed ice, poured over ice in my venti Starbucks cup, and I had a beautiful drink!) 

Now, I need to go watch Nadal finish off his match.  And I need to run so I can have another brownie tonight!

2 comments:

  1. Ok Leanne, can I come over? Now???

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that looks a lot like our coffee toddy set up! Smooth coffee concentrate; so good iced!

    ReplyDelete