It's amazing how this practice of counting gifts opens your eyes to the uncountable gifts all around me. I think I could do this daily for the rest of my life and never run out of things to be thankful for. "Little things" jump out at me. Then the line between little things and big things begins to blur. There are no longer "little things" around me, they are all gifts. All things swirl together to make up this whole experience of living. "God saw all that he had made, and it was very good...". Yeah, He was right. It is very good. And it is so good to slow down and see what He saw. What He sees.
This weekend I had an amazing conversation with a man who went through a very similar accident with his child that we went through with Beth. But his story ended very differently. Some amazing things happened in that conversation. And as we talked, I saw freshly many of the "little" gifts that were given during that time and after. Gifts that were given in the midst of deep, deep pain. And this man shared in a beautiful way some of the gifts that have come to him, things that have brought so much comfort. Proof that no matter how deep our pain (and I don't believe there is possibly a deeper pain that losing a child) the Lord shows up and proves Himself real, true, and trustworthy. And in that conversation, the lines between receiving comfort and giving comfort began to blur. It's just shared comfort.
So, with a heart consumed and overcome with gratitude that words are pathetically inadequate to describe, I continue on...
299. Life restored, whether here or in heaven
300. Conversations that encourage and uplift
301. Genesis 1:31
301. 2 Corinthians 1:3,4: Comfort received so we can give
302. Watching baptisms
303. Shared joy
305. Soft tissues
306. Holding a mug of a hot drink
307. Watching a little bird sit on a bush and give himself a bath in the rain
308. Running my fingers along new pussy willows
309. Conquering something I thought I could never do, even if it means I just have to do more
310. Not setting my alarm on a Sunday night
311. Freshly made hot chocolate pudding
312. Young love, just starting out, that you are absolutely positive is forever
313. A day of not rushing