Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Vile Weed!!!


Yesterday I began a venture into something new. I have been intrigued by this for quite some time, and recently read some more about it. So, for a variety of reasons, none of which I feel compelled to share, I started juicing yesterday. It was quite an experience. I am not one who is drawn to the flavor of vegetables. Not at all. Unless I can visibly see the melted butter pooling up around them, that is. I eat them just because I know they are good for me, but not because I really want to. Well, imagine the assault in my mouth when a liquid form of carrots, celery, cucumber, beets (with the greens), lemon and apple hit it all at once! There's a line in Seinfeld when Newman is forced to taste broccoli, and he spits it out saying, "Vile weed!!!" I'm not quite that bad, but I do have an understanding of his feelings. Everything within me wanted to hiss out, "Vile weed!!" when I took my first swig of this juice. But I've been told it gets better the more you do it. So I'll keep at it and see what happens. And the straight carrot/apple juice is great. I made that version for the kids, just to let them suffer, I mean enjoy, the juicing right along with me. I'm going to give it a go for 30 days and see if I think it's worth continuing. Stay tuned. I hope to find some tasty combinations as I move through this. And, I have some intriguing recipes that use the pulp from the juicing that sound good. Things like carrot cake, muffins, etc.

And, if you are so inclined, feel free to stop by and I'll whip you up a glass of vile weed.

Can you feel my pain??!!


Perseverance. It better pay off.

Now I have some accountability. When you see me, ask me if I've juiced!

And to keep it real, here was my dinner...

Brad was sent home from work yesterday at 1:00. Nice boss who noticed he has been working too much, and sent him home. Love that. So we took advantage of the time and went to see a movie. And because I was so good with my veggies earlier in the day, I thought it would be good to add in some corn. Popped corn. But corn. A veggie. With butter. Lots. Of. Butter. Mmm.

4 comments:

  1. I have never tried carrot juice. It sounds... interesting. But, maybe it would taste good if you put other juices with it, like you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Butter in dairy....so technically you are on the right track! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the "butter" in popcorn is actually palm oil or coconut oil. Being as bright as you are, you probably recognized immediately that these oils come from... VEGETABLES. Movie popcorn is practically a health food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite in the summer is apples with a lemon juiced. Natural lemonade! Yum! You use the lemon with the peel and all. The apples make it sweet.

    Another one that is good is: red delicious apples with a big handfull of spinach and carrots. Use the carrots to push down the spinach in the juicer. This actually tastes pretty good! Great poured into a chilled glass of ice.

    ReplyDelete