Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Possible Solutions to Cookie Dilemmas


It's come to my attention that some of you may be in the midst of some Girl Scout cookie dilemmas.

Perhaps you bought too many...oh, wait...I don't believe that's possible. Can't be that.

Maybe you don't know what to do with...no, that can't be it. How can you not know what to do with a cookie? Open mouth, bite, chew...

Or maybe you just want some variety in your Girl Scout cookie diet. Well, now that I can understand. Who doesn't like jazzing up even something so pure as a Samoa?

When I was a kid, there was a cookie called a "Yum Yum", and it was exactly like the Samoa, only in a rectangular shape. I loved them. We have only opened one box in this house since I picked up the original 100 cases for our troop almost 2 weeks ago. Just had to throw that in to prove that there is some self-denial present in me. But I still enjoy the idea of eating mounds of them.

So, if you have been longing for some interesting things to do with your cookies, here are some ideas. These recipes came off the Girl Scout website. It perplexes/intrigues me that someone actually took the time to create these recipes rather than just eat the cookies, but I guess there's more proof that there's something for everyone. I haven't tried these yet, but I just might turn the kids loose on these ideas and see what comes out of the kitchen.


Samoa Kiss Brownies

1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix

1/3 cup evaporated milk
¾ cup melted butter
Mini Chocolate Kisses
¾ cup caramels, melted
½ package Samoas
Coconut

Mix cake mix, evaporated milk and butter. Pour half of mixture into a 9" x 13" pan. Bake at 350° for six minutes. Sprinkle one cup Kisses on top. Spread melted caramel over Kisses. Add ½ box crushed Samoas and one tablespoon toasted coconut. Pour remaining cake batter on top and bake 10 minutes. Drizzle with melted Kisses and sprinkle with coconut.

Rich and Famous Brownies

1 cup evaporated milk
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoons butter
3 cups Thin Mint cookies, crushed into crumbs
½ cup nuts, chopped

Mix together milk, marshmallows, chocolate chips, sugar and salt in microwaveable bowl. Bring to a boil in microwave. Stir well and cook in microwave an additional two minutes at medium high heat. Remove from microwave. Add butter, vanilla, and chopped nuts. Break Thin Mint cookies into crumbs and add to mixture. Pack into a 9-inch square pan. Refrigerate until hard. Cut into two-inch squares.

And, now, if you eat all your cookies and find yourself craving more shortbread, here's a recipe to make your own...

First Girl Scout Cookie Recipe - Original Shortbread

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar plus extra for topping (optional)
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder

Cream butter and the cup of sugar; add well-beaten eggs, then milk, vanilla, flour, salt and baking powder. Refrigerate for at least one hour. Roll dough, cut into trefoil shapes, and sprinkle sugar on top, if desired. Bake at 375° for approximately 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.

5 comments:

  1. A while ago I tried to decide which cookie was my favorite: Samoa or thin mint. After much thought, not to mention a good cry over the decision, I chose thin mints as my favorite cookie. We were so happy together for about 6 weeks. Then, I had a change of heart. After spending the holidays together, I could see that thin mint wasn't as minty as I had originally thought. It wasn't that the cookie changed, but something was just different for me. We weren't right for each other. So, I have reconsidered, and can now say that I am so happy with Samoa announced as my favorite. Samoa is sweet like thin mint, but it also has that crispy crunch that only coconut can have. I can't get enough of the Samoa cookies. They are amazing. Some may say I lack character, flip flopping on a cookie choice like this, but I had to follow my heart.

    Leanne, I know you'll understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing love story, indeed. In fact, I think it is the most dramatic commment in my blog's history. Gotcha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant comment. Not commment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Because it is such a good story, some might say I was told to write it, but really, it's just the way things worked out. I feel really horrible about it. I have to go cry now.

    Oh, when your girls don't do girl scouts any more, you might say you have sold "the final cookie".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm.... Girl Scout Cookies! I love the Thin Mints! My favorite.

    ReplyDelete