Saturday, January 3, 2009

Why Chocolate Chips and Snickerdoodles??


Here we go! I'm so intrigued about this blogging business, and decided to venture into it myself. I love reading various blogs. Getting a peek into others' lives seems to give me insight into my own. I have no idea how this one will shape up. I guess I'll figure that out as I go!

So, why "Chocolate Chips and Snickerdoodles"? Well, it goes without saying that I LOVE chocolate chip cookies. I love to say "chocolate chip cookies", I love to hear someone else say it, I love the smell of the chocolate chip bag, the baking of the cookies, and, of course, the eating of the cookies. The whole experience. I've loved them since I was 11 years old. Here's the story...My mom was going through her 2nd brain surgery. I was a bundle of fear. I didn't know if my mom was going to be okay. The idea of the adults in my life was to tell me as little as possible, I suppose their idea of protecting me. But I received that as "It must be really bad if they can't tell me anything." So I tried hard to overhear conversations and figure it out myself...a very insecure time. During my mom's hospital stay and beyond, ladies from our church were bringing dinners to our house. I came home from school one day and the meal had already been dropped off. Right in the middle of the kitchen counter was a lovely plate of...chocolate chip cookies! Something happened when I saw those cookies. It was a little touch of reassurance. As if the Lord Himself reached down and gave me a big hug and let me know things would be okay. I don't know why it was seeing the cookies that gave me such reassurance. My mom was many wonderful things, but not much of a cookie baker. Now when I get to take dinner to someone, I always bring some sort of cookie or dessert. It speaks comfort and reassurance to me. I'm so glad He didn't choose to comfort me through broccoli. Chocolate Chip Cookies just taste so very good with cold milk!

And, Snickerdoodles are the first type of cookie I remember making over and over. Fond memories of baking with friends, arguing over who got to add which ingredient. While laboring all afternoon over what to call this blog, one of my favorite 13-year-olds suggested Snickerdoodle! Perfect!! (Thanks, Amanda...cookies coming your way!)

We do have some "excitement" going on around (specifically under) our house that I may get brave enough to blog about tomorrow. I suppose it's a good story. And I suppose it will be funny to me someday. But not today. Maybe tomorrow...

In the meantime, go find yourself some comfort...

"I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow." Jeremiah 31:13

...and if you need some cookies, give me a call! If you'll excuse me, I have some baking to do!

2 comments:

  1. I love this! It is so cool! When somebody I know has a blog, I am always looking at it. I cant wait for those cookies to come! What kind will the be? Chocolate chip or Snickerdoodle, or both?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this too!
    What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete