Monday, January 26, 2009

Monday Menu

Here's another wacky idea, who knows if it will last...I will try to post a recipe every Monday. Tried and true, family approved. If nothing else, a good way to keep a record of these recipes for my kids.

With the weather so chilly, I thought a good start would be a favorite soup. My kids love this, and will even happily eat it as left-overs.

Taco Soup

1 lb. ground beef (or chicken or turkey)
2 cans petite diced tomatoes, 1 with green chilies
2 cans black beans, drained
2 cans kidney beans (dark or light), drained
2 cans small white beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 small can sliced olives
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch dip mix

Brown ground beef. In large soup pot (or slow-cooker) combine all ingredients. Add enough water for the consistency you like. If you like it on the spicier side, add a can of diced green chilies. You can adjust the combination of beans to whatever suits you. Allow to simmer for 2 hours on the stove top, or 8 hours in a slow-cooker.

To serve, top each bowl with some grated cheddar cheese, sour cream and some crushed nacho cheese Doritos. Mmm. Also great with warm cornbread. An alternative way to serve it is to place a scoop of rice into each bowl instead of sour cream and Doritos. My kids prefer the Doritos, hands-down. But I like the rice...

Ah...this would also be a great Super Bowl Sunday meal!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the inspiration. I wanted to make it today, but of course, I didn't have the right ingredients. No tomatoes, but I used Campbell's tomato soup instead. I added half a can of green chilis. I had 1 can black beans, 2 cans dark red beans, and 1 can garbanzos. No ranch dip mix, but I did add some rice. No olives either. Or Doritos, but we did have Kirkland corn chips! Oh, I added about 1 tsp of cumin. Love that spice in Mexican flavored food. And Red Robin seasoning salt. All in all, it was quite yummy. Hard to go wrong when you put shredded cheese on top!

    ReplyDelete