Friday, January 23, 2009

Flashback Friday

I had an idea for "Flashback Friday" for a couple reasons. One is that I don't have an ultra-exciting life to blog about. Another is I stumbled upon a couple oldie-but-goodie pictures that have a great story. I found myself thinking how it would have been fun to blog about those things when my kids were little and continually giving me great stories to share. Well, it's never too late! My kids love hearing stories about goofy things they did, and they, hopefully, will enjoy seeing these stories documented here. So here it goes...

Come with me back to February of 2003, Beth was 2 years old. "Always into something" so accurately describes her. Still. On this particular day, Brenna was at preschool and Alex at school. Just me and Beth, hanging out at home. I was on the phone (dangerous time with a 2-year old in the house) and was so happy that Beth was staying busy with her toys and leaving me to my conversation. I continued to peek in on her and she would give me her cheesy little grin and keep playing. The last time I peeked, she had crawled up onto my bed, with her favorite baby, and was completely absorbed in trying to change the baby's outfit. Perfect. A few minutes later, I peeked into a totally different scene...

Brad keeps a jar of Eucerin hand cream by his side of the bed. His hands dry badly in the winter. Anyway, Beth had found that little jar, taken the top off, and proceeded to spread - thickly - Eucerin lotion all over her cheeks and hands. Now, to appreciate this story you have to understand something about Eucerin. It is like Crisco shortening. It sticks, and is greasy, and does not just wipe off. From my gasp, Beth could instantly tell that whatever she had done was not good. She got such a look of "Uh-oh" on her face...I had no other choice but to snap a picture before I began the long chore of cleaning her up. She wouldn't even look at the camera, which made for an even more priceless picture. Captures the guilt beautifully!



We wiped it off, rubbed it in, took a bath, rubbed it in some more, etc. Into the next day, literally, there was a whitish haze to her cheeks. Like a continually replenishing supply of face cream built into her cheeks. But, oh, was she well moisturized! Sweet cheeks.





And here she is, post-bath, reveling in the glow of moisturized cheeks and hands! Notice how the flash of the camera glistened off her rosy cheeks! And I think this is one of Beth's looks that really captures her "what can I get into?" zest for life. Happy girl. Happy life. I love her. And I like her, too. Her middle name is Joy, and she carries that name well! Thanks for the happy memory, Bethie!

2 comments:

  1. CUTE!!!!!!!! I love the idea of a "flash back Friday!" This makes a Friday just that much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is priceless! Love the guilty disconnect from the camera!

    ReplyDelete