Monday, January 19, 2009

Oh, brother...


This is a sweet story...and so unexpected. The girls have been gone for 2 nights, having a fun sleep-over with Auntie Debbie. One night is not bad, refreshing even. But 2 nights has felt long. Alex casually asked last night, "I wonder what Brenna and Beth had for dinner?" (I know, more food focus...) Of course, he did this in the midst of being totally absorbed in his video game, and there was not even a pause long enough for me to answer before he was saying, "Oh...oh, no...get him! That's so cheap!" Etc, etc. But at least a thought of his sisters fluttered through his ever-fluttering mind.

We are leaving in a few minutes to go get the girls. I went into Alex's room to "encourage" him to hurry up, and saw Brenna's fluffy long pillow up on his bed. I asked, sarcastically, "Did you sleep with that because you miss your sister so much?" He blushed a bit, got that "ah, shucks" grin, and said, "I don't know, I just grabbed it from her room on my way to bed last night." Then he pointed to the large stuffed dog and added, "And that's Beth's dog."

Ah...I love seeing glimpses of brotherly sweetness in him. I know it's in there, but sometimes it gets lost in the sibling-ness of daily life. He has always had a very special fondness for his little sisters, and I tell them often that they are so blessed to have such a great big brother. But he's also a very normal big brother, and will antagonize and frustrate them. A good reminder to us all that at the core, there is still a great love there!

2 comments:

  1. Brenna and Beth are lucky to have a big brother that love them that much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leanne, I'm Brenda's sister-in-law. She told me about your blog a couple weeks ago. I love the title of it! And this post about your son is so sweet. I'm always so thankful when the Lord gives a little window past the "sibling-ness" into the heart He's giving them for eachother. Won't it be fun, in a handful of years, to see our kids' relationships when they're adults? Thanks for sharing a little bit of your family with us. ~Kristine

    ReplyDelete