Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Maybe It's Me...

Today I had the unfortunate opportunity to drive - for quite awhile - stuck a few cars behind a school bus. This bus had a lot of stops to make. So we crept and stopped. Crept and stopped. Must have been an early release day for some schools, because normally I'm good at timing my route to avoid that. Not today. And I was in a hurry.

So, besides singing along to the radio and sighing a lot, I had some long moments to stare at the car in front of me. And it made me start to wonder... why do people "decorate" the back window of their car? I mean inside the car, like the dashboard to the back window. We've all seen the hand-knit afghan with stuffed animals. That car usually also has an "I (heart) cats!" bumper sticker. But the car in front of me today was a new view. She was all decorated for Valentine's Day. I so badly wish I had a picture to show you. The full length of the back seat, covered, with stacks of tacky silk roses. A white teddy bear holding a red heart on each end. On those hearts was written "I (heart) you". Me? Was this message for me? Who is she displaying this for? As much as I know, bumper stickers, window clings, and window decor is meant to be read by the person behind you. Well, I'm flattered, but I never met this lady before in my life! I wondered if perhaps her sweetheart had snuck into her car and decorated for her as a sweet surprise. Well, he clearly wasn't thinking if that's the case. Unless that's just her thing. Maybe he just couldn't take the stuffed cats anymore. Or maybe he, wisely, had nothing to do with this.

Maybe it's me. I'm always behind the trends in most...okay, all...areas. Maybe I just haven't been clued in yet that the new thing is to decorate your back window for the season/holiday. Maybe this is a step up from the antenna ball trend. If that's the case, I'm just going to have to be out of this trend. I don't have a back window sill in my van. Sigh.

1 comment: