Sunday, August 23, 2009

Triple Chocolate Cheers!

Our alarm went off at 4:30 this morning. Not many things are worth getting up at that time, but this was so worth it. Brad began doing a lot more open water swimming this spring, and today he had a very special swim. The Park To Park Swim across Lake Washington, benefitting Children's Hospital. He went 1.5 miles in 36:13 ~ a great time. But more importantly, a very emotional swim. Lots of thoughts to keep his mind busy with every stroke. Thoughts of Beth, of course. Thoughts of admiration for Children's. Thoughts of the miracle we were blessed to witness while there. All thoughts that overwhelm with thankfulness and awe. There's something very special about accomplishing a swim like that, and once again finding a way to not let the water win. Life wins. All because we have a God who chose to answer yes to our desperate cries. It's such a joy to celebrate that, and this was a fun way to do it!

He started in heat 3, and passed most of the heat 2 people and some in heat 1, finishing in the top 25 out of about 250. I knew what color cap his heat was wearing, and I knew he wasn't wearing his wet suit. So I was watching like a hawk for a pink cap with bare shoulders. I was so proud that I picked him out of that crowd! I completely recognized his stroke, and thankfully took pictures of the right person!




Here he is coming in with the crowd.



Pulling away a bit...


Looking up to see if he's headed straight...



DONE!!


Proof of his time.



I'm so proud of him!


Here's some random fun ~ this is John Curley, he hosts a local show and was there as a participant and pep-talk guy before the swim.


The girls did not come with us because of the early hour and a prior social engagement, but Alex came to root for his dad, and we had a few hours before we had to be back in town. So we went out for breakfast and drove around Seattle. Brad loves to drive around aimlessly, I tend to just want to get somewhere and not be lost. Here's an interesting discovery: Alex said he likes riding around in the backseat when we are just driving around. He said, "It's fun to just drive and listen to you two argue and stuff when you don't know where you are going." Well, I'm so glad we can be so entertaining!

And just look where the car ended up!! My favorite cupcake store, as previously and lovingly described here.

And don't worry...Brad is is very use to the nut he is married to. He doesn't give it a second thought anymore.



Alex had a S'More cupcake. Graham cracker crust, chocolate cupcake, graham cracker top, and then "frosted" with a toasted marshmallow. Thatta boy, Alex. Get in there.



And us? The Triple Chocolate, of course. Hello, my love.


Cheers to us, for a weekend of breaking personal records. But a triple chocolate cheers to Brad for doing his first 5K and a big swim that was more than just a swim. I love you, Brad!!

And what is the big man doing now? As I've typed this, he succumbed to the exhaustion, and this is where he crashed...so sweet: (I wish I could attach a sound byte to this so you could hear the rumbling snores coming from him!) I think I'll go join him...



4 comments:

  1. Mr. Carlson, that is super cool that you did that race.

    And Mrs. Carlson, when I scrolled down and saw that picture of you pointing to the cup cakes, I actually laughed out loud. It is a very good picture.

    And I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE driving around and not knowing where we are going. I think that it is so much fun! Maybe that is becuase i love going places and looking at things, i dont know.

    Anyway, great job Mr. Carlson!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (the pictures in the background cost up to $300 dollars!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, this is Ben. That is Incredible that you did all that. And the blog is hilarious. I was laughing out loud when I saw the cupcake pictures. Great job on breaking all the personal records! Stephanie wants me to ask if there's any kind of 'cupcake record' and if so how many times it has been broken. Now that sounds like a competition that I could stand a chance at!

    Bless u guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex- three zero zero buck....? wow! that is almost as much as your basson thing at two sixty buck. hehe

    ReplyDelete