Thursday, August 20, 2009

Anticipation of school...

How am I feeling about another school year approaching?? Well, this picture pretty much sums up my emotions on the first day of school every year. This was 3 years ago (where IS the time going??) on Beth's first day of kindergarten. Notice how Beth is happily engaged in being there, while mommy clings to her from behind. (Can you say "therapy"??) In my defense, this was 2 months after her accident...so I was a bit clingy.



Alex's first day of kindergarten? I was 7 months pregnant, standing outside the classroom crying. Not silently standing there with a tear rolling down my cheek and a proud little grin on my face. No. My face covered in my hands, my shoulders shaking, and those gasping inhales that toddlers do after a big meltdown. I think sobbing is a better description. I blamed it on pregnancy hormones. I waddled my pregnant belly over to my doctor's office and then explained why my blood pressure was up. The 2nd day of school?? So many moms came up to me and told me it had reassured them that I was crying. They said, "I thought of you when I sat in my car and cried, and I knew I wasn't the only one." I scolded them and told them next time to cry with me, so I wouldn't think I was the only one.

Brenna's first day of kindergarten?? Yep, I cried. But I kept it together there, because my sweet little girl was so nervous. Mommy breaking into sobs would have surely sent her running. But I did have someone to cry with that year...Beth cried and cried when we left her sister there. She was NOT happy to see this fun-filled kindergarten room full of kids and then go home with just...mommy.

So by the time that picture of Beth was taken, she'd been through all this before. She'd come with me to volunteer at that school for 5 years. She'd literally been waiting "her whole life" to have it be her turn. Brad, in all his wisdom, took that morning off and we went out to coffee and just hung out together. He had been through this twice before and he was prepared. Sort of.

This year? My first baby is going into high school, my second baby is going into middle school, and my baby baby is going to be a big 3rd grade girl! I can't believe how fast the years are going, but I'm so glad I get to be on this ride with them.

So, here's to fully enjoying these last couple weeks of summer before a new kind of crazy begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment