Saturday, August 1, 2009

I Did It!!


I am so glad this day is over. I signed up to run my first public 5K...I was nervous all week with our hot weather, and especially nervous last night and today. I had a crazy amount of butterflies in my tummy. Jack had great advice about those butterflies...he told me just to make them fly in formation and I'd be in great shape. Well, those butterflies flapped their little wings at a frantic pace and helped me finish in 27:04...the fastest I've ever run this distance on my treadmill. And it was hot. Did I mention it was hot?? My feet were hot from the pavement. My throat was burning. But I did it! I even took 2nd in my age group! My goal was to run one of these before I turn 40...and I accomplished that with a few weeks to spare! Everyone has said once I do one I'll be addicted to it and be looking for more races...I don't know about that. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. A 6:00 in the evening race in 90 degrees was enough for awhile. Here's the proof in pictures...

Me and Jack just before the start. See the gal over my shoulder in the little-bitty black running outfit? She finished in 16:44. Crazy. She was doing sprints to warm up before the race. Me? I was trying to avoid even one unnecessary step so as not to waste any energy I would need. Perhaps her method works a bit better. Go figure.


And we're off.

A few of my favorite sights? My hubby's face, my children's faces, cookies right out of the oven, and a big blue sign with large white letters: FINISH. And at the moment this picture was taken, not necessarily in that order.

Getting my official number recorded. One thought? Water!!

And here comes Jack, who took 2 minutes off his best time! In the heat! Woo-hoo Jack!

A post race cheers!

And lucky duck Jack won a pair of Aasics running shoes!! Way to go!!

And, yeah, in the time it's taken me to post these pictures...I'll do it again. I'm glad I did it. I think I'd like to see what I can do when it's not too hot. Cuz have I mentioned it was hot??

3 comments:

  1. Nice Job! That is pretty impressive. Personally I don't think the girl over your shoulder ran so fast because of her warm up sprints, I think it had everything to do with the little-bitty black running outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you! Yes...I think an early a.m. run would be best so that you can run in the brisk cool air. I did not know that was one of your goals before turning 40!

    You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of the both of you!

    ReplyDelete