Friday, April 3, 2009

Flashback Friday

Happy Friday! My sweet Grandma celebrated her 90th birthday last weekend, so it's only fitting that this flashback revolve around her. I could say so much about her, and have so many stories I could share, but will choose this one. It is actually a story more about Brenna and a former kitty, but it reflects how loved this Grandma is to us.

It was July 2001, and a new kitty found its way into our home. She was especially fond of Brenna, who was 3 1/2 at the time. We named the kitty Sunny, and she was truly a sweet cat. She would sit and let Brenna pet her anytime. She'd purr and purr whenever she was with Brenna. Although we had named this cat Sunny, Brenna decided to call her Grandma Bryan. I asked her why she wanted to call the kitty Grandma Bryan, and she said, "Just because I wuv her so much." Can't argue with that!

So Brenna's nickname for the cat stuck. All summer, we would hear, "Mommy, Daddy!! Come look at how high Grandma Bryan climbed up the apple tree!" Or, "Mommy, Beth pulled Grandma Bryan's tail!" Or we'd call to Brenna, "You need to leave Grandma Bryan alone now. If her ears are back and she's making those sounds that means she's had enough."

We did have to explain to our neighbors the nickname for the cat. We were concerned they might overhear these comments and who knows what they would think!

Sadly, about a year later, Grandma Bryan had a run-in with a raccoon that ended badly for her. We were all so sad, especially Brenna. She told everyone how sad she was that Grandma Bryan had a fight with a raccoon and died. We tried not to grin, and then quickly explain that the Grandma Bryan Brenna was referring to was, indeed, a cat.



Here is Brenna with her two Grandma Bryans. Great, great love among that trio. There are many things I could say as a tribute to my grandma. But I think the fact that a 3-year old loved her enough to name her kitty after her speaks volumes. She's not quite who she use to be these days. I don't even think she'd remember this story. But we remember. And we love her very much.

And this picture has nothing to do with the story, but just another small flashback of this sweet lady. That's me on the left at almost the exact same age as Brenna in the above picture, Christmas 1972.

3 comments:

  1. A cat named Grandma... I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! Thanks for sharing!

    I love the...... "stop pulling Grandma Bryan's tail!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leanne, I know one of these Grandma Bryans VERY well. The sweetest, bestest Grandma EVER!

    ReplyDelete