Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday Menu ~ Nut Butter

***This is a re-post at the request of a friend.  I made this last night, and she called while I was making it.  She insisted on the recipe...and I insist you must try this!  I love, love, love it...still.  A piece of raisin bread with nut butter will be my breakfast everyday on vacation...except for the day when I am at Blueberry Hill eating my Danish yeast waffle with peach pie filling and coconut syrup.  My heart flutters at the mere mention of this waffle.  It's about the best thing you can imagine on your taste buds.  But I'm getting carried away again...back to the nut butter!!!!!


Okay, this is a bit of an odd ball recipe. You may read this and think you'll save the trouble and just buy yourself a jar of peanut butter. But, please, let me tell you that this is such a very yummy nut spread. We love this, and eat in on a whole variety of things. One thing in particular has become one of my new favorite foods. It was the last thing I ate before I ran my 5K. If that's not a testimonial, I don't know what is! This recipe came off another blog I read, MckMama, but I've tweaked some things and left some things out...what I usually do to a recipe.

This makes a huge amount, so although it's a bit of a mess to make, it will be worth your time and last you a long while. I would say this recipe took me about an hour from start to finish. And the amounts are somewhat random: not a recipe that is dependant on exactness! So have fun making this your own in whatever way suits your family!


if you are one to look closely at a picture, you'll notice tahini paste...I left this out...


Nut Butter

1 jar (28 oz.) peanut butter (I use Kirkland organic creamy)
1 big (80 oz.) tub of Adam's Crunchy peanut butter
About 1/2 of a 26 oz. jar of almond butter
1/2 cup-ish honey
3/4 cup-ish Nutella
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup raw almonds
1 cup pecans
1 cup walnuts
1 cup cashews

Put the sunflower seeds, almonds and nuts into a food processor, blender, or nut chopper (in small enough batches for your machine to handle it). Chop until they are fine, fine, fine, but not to the point of turning into a paste.

In a large bowl, combine the peanut butters, almond butter, honey, Nutella, and ground nuts. Mix very well. I use my hand mixer to easily get it all incorporated together.




Spoon the mixture back into the empty peanut butter jars and other random jars, store in the refrigerator.


This is such a great blast of protein and lots of the good kind of fats. We love to eat it on regular sandwiches, pancakes, french toast...whatever. But our very favorite way is on a piece of toasted raisin bread. You have to trust me. It is fabulous...my new favorite breakfast!

The most affordable way to make this is to stock up at Costco...peanut butters, almond butter, Nutella, and most nuts are a great buy at Costco.

No comments:

Post a Comment