Monday, February 9, 2009

Monday Menu - Brenna's Choice

Alex pointed out to me yesterday that I have been too unbalanced in my blogging. I have not given the precious middle child her fair time in the spotlight. If anyone other that Alex has noted that, hang in there. She's the full focus of my Flashback Friday this week. It's a gem of a Valentine flashback. And, to keep things further balanced, I let Brenna choose the recipe to post today. Hopefully this will appease Alex. I aim to please.

So, with no further ado, here is Brenna's choice...minus any pictures. It's never occurred to me, until now, to take pictures of my chicken. Next time maybe I'll remember and stick it in here. I love a picture with a recipe. Okay, so there was some further ado after all. Now, for real, the recipe...

Imposter Chicken Cordon Bleu

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup (?) flour
2 eggs
1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
olive oil
4 slices Jack cheese
4 slices deli ham

Put chicken breasts between 2 layers of waxed paper. Pound until about 1/2 inch thick. Dredge each breast in flour, then in beaten eggs, then coat in breadcrumbs. (In case you care...the flour is to give the egg something to stick to so it doesn't slide right off the chicken. I put my flour and breadcrumbs on a sheet of wax paper for easy clean up.) Heat olive oil in large pan, cook chicken 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Place chicken on baking sheet. Top each with a piece of ham (or 2) and a piece of cheese. Broil for a couple minutes just until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly. Serve with some warm bread and a big salad and you've got yourself a full meal deal. The girls like to dip the chicken in ranch dressing.

Now, a disclaimer. The menu title is "imposter" chicken cordon bleu. My kids have no idea how un-authentic it really is. They will have no idea until the first time they order it in a restaurant and realize what a fraud their mother has been all these years. Please don't burst their happy bubble by telling them this dish is suppose to have a yummy sauce, etc. Ignorance is truly bliss. And my goal with this anyway is to keep a record of things my family loves to eat and maybe give anyone else a new idea. We all need new ideas. If you are one of those families that has "Meatloaf Monday" "Taco Tuesday", etc., every week...branch out a bit and try something new!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm, with some swiss cheese, I think it would actually taste quite a bit like the REAL dish! But, I won't tell.

    As far as pictures go, you could always just round up which ingredients you do have, and take a picture of those!

    I have a request for another Monday... peanut butter chocolate pie, or whatever that dessert you make is. It's so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, my dear, you need to be a bit more specific on the dessert request! "Whatever that dessert you make is..." That is way too wide open. I do believe you know me better than that. Are you talking about the chocolate/pb torte?

    And I've just realized I don't know how to post a comment on my own blog unless I am "Anonymous". Maybe I'll try to figure that out soon. In the meantime, I'll stick with cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, yes, that pb torte. I think that's it! so to post with your own name, look the box you type your response in and there is a drop down menu that says "Select profile..." Choose "name/URL". Then a box comes up where you put your name. Then click to post comment. It prompts you to enter one of those words that aren't a word, and for some reason, on your blog it never accepts it the first time.

    Okay, you could probably choose "google account" instead of "name/URL" since you have a google account now with the blog.

    ReplyDelete