Friday, February 13, 2009

Flashback Friday, Valentine Edition

Happy (almost) Valentine's Day! Today's flashback takes us back to Valentine's Day, 2002. It involved a heart-shaped gel candle, a very sweet 4-year old, and a plugged toilet.

Brenna had been treasuring this candle for a couple days. Just couldn't get enough of this candle. Early in the afternoon (on Valentine's Day), a very sheepish Brenna came out of the bathroom and asked Brad to come help her. First it was, "I think I plugged the toilet." So Brad got the plunger and tried to unplug the toilet. It would not unplug. This went on for quite some time, with Brenna bearing a look of extreme guilt. Brad kept assuring her that it was okay, this kind of thing happens, and he would fix it. The more he reassured her, the more guilty she looked.

Finally, he asked Brenna WHAT had plugged the toilet. (Not a question that usually needs to be asked!) Her little lips tightened up and started to quiver, and she said, "Mommy's heart." WHAT??!

"Brenna, what do you mean, 'Mommy's heart'?"

"Mommy's little squishy red heart. I was wrapping it for her while I went to the bathroom and it fell into the toilet. I didn't know what to do so I just flushed."

She had been doing what so many kids do: find stuff around the house and wrap it up for someone you love. She just thought she would wrap that candle up and give it to me for Valentine's Day. Sweet gesture gone terribly wrong.

Ultimately, Mr. Fix-It had to take the toilet out of the bathroom, and fish that heart out. No amount of words could reassure Brenna, she continued to feel so sad about Mommy's little squishy red heart plugging the toilet. And she felt even worse when she realized that although Brad had retrieved the heart, it was still gone for good. Bye-bye Mommy's heart.

Brad and I had some good laughs over that. A day meant for romance had become a day that we were digging hearts out of the toilet. Such a picture of the path our lives had taken.



And I wouldn't change a thing. My "little squishy red heart" is full and overflowing.


This is another Valentine flashback too sweet to not share. Brenna was 2 years old, a somewhat reluctant valentine. But, oh, how can you not grab that face and kiss it?!

And, no Valentine's Day post would be complete without a mention of my valentine. I love you so much, Brad...and thank you for loving me so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment