Friday, February 20, 2009

Flashback Friday

*UPDATE!!* New scanner in and working! (The upside to a hubby who had a very trying week at work: he wants to successfully "complete" something, so he buys and installs a new scanner. The downside: he will be working Saturday to get un-buried at work.) Anywho...here is the picture that prompted this post. Just look at these two cute kids! June 1997...Alex had just turned two, thus the socially acceptable attire of a two-year old: nothin' but a diaper and a smile. Read on for more happy thoughts of the Merrell Family...


Today's flashback is slightly incomplete, because the picture that sparked the flashback is not going to be here. It's a scanner problem that we are going to remedy this weekend. But I still wanted to flashback to this great family, because we just miss them. Everyone should be so blessed to be friends with such a great family...so here's to the Merrell Family! The picture that's missing is Alex at about 2, and Chase about 6, swinging on swing set together. So cute.

Shelley and I met at church in 1995. It was the Sunday that we had Alex dedicated at church, my birthday, and the Merrell's first time at that church as they were new in town. I remember her so clearly coming up to us in the foyer, saying, "Look, honey, this is the baby that was dedicated today." And she said it in such a sweet, endearing way. That is just who Shelley is. She loves very easily. Shortly after that, she invited me to a scrapbook evening, and we became fast friends. She's had a bigger influence on me than she probably knows. It broke my heart when they moved back to California, but we have only become deeper friends across the miles. Such an easy relationship. When we do get together, we hardly even say hello. We just launch into a continuation of whatever conversation we last had on the phone. (Oh, and we like Larry, too!)



Here we are in February of 2002, 7 years ago this weekend. (NOT the last time we've seen each other, but a fun flashback!)

My kids love this family as much as I do. Chase and Landon are 4 & 2 years older than Alex. Through them, Alex developed a love of Legos and a love of wooden train tracks. Wish we lived closer for these guys to share the daily stuff together, but they are still close in our hearts.

And here is the last time all the kids were together, August 2007. Now, Chase is a senior, Landon a sophomore. I can't believe it. Chase is the precious child who at age 4 recommended a Martha Stewart cookbook to me after eating a meal I prepared for him. They are amazing young men who are using their gifts to serve the Lord. Great leaders, strong convictions, talents galore. I'm so excited to watch their next season of life unfold. We love those boys so much. They are more man than boy, but always boys to us. And they are so busy, but if they stood still for a moment, I'm sure they'd realize they miss us too! :)

So, I flashback and look forward at the same time. Flashback to great memories, and look forward to many more!


Whatcha doing tonight, Shelley? Want to go grab a coffee? (just wishing...)

3 comments:

  1. The kids look older, but you and Brad look that SAME! Well, okay, Brad's mustache is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to go to coffee and to a movie with you! I love what you wrote. I have that picture of Chase and Alex on the swing in the back yard. I had it out not too long ago. We miss and love you guys too! "Bigger than the sky!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool to have friends like that!

    ReplyDelete