Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bribery or Motivation?

You may call it bribery, I choose to call it motivation.

Aggressiveness has never been in Brenna. I love her gentle spirit, it's one of my favorite things about her. On the basketball court, however, her lack of aggressiveness has made her lack a bit of confidence. She's great at passing to an open person, because basketball to her is like a game of "hot potato". The more quickly she can get rid of it, the better. But she has passed up a lot of great shots, not having the confidence to take it. Her coach has been wonderful to encourage her to take a quick shot, but she continues to try to get rid of it.

So, on Saturday I tried a new approach. Right before the game, spur of the moment, I told her I'd pay her $10 if she made a basket. Her eyes lit up, and she immediately held her hand out to "shake on it." Sure enough, Brenna took some great shots right away. She was actually looking for a good shot! She barely missed a couple...and then SHA-ZAM! She sank a great shot and immediately looked up into the stands to make sure I saw it. I gave her a thumbs up and waved a $10 bill at her. All the parents sitting around us knew of my "motivation" and were cheering enthusiastically for her. At half-time, Brenna asked if it was a one-time $10, or $10 for each shot. I took a chance and told her per basket. All said and done, I was only out $10 at the end of the game anyway. Money well spent to show Brenna what she can do if she tries!

Here's the money shot. Brenna's hidden in a trio of blue, but she's in there...

And here's the pay-off, er...reward...


1 comment:

  1. GO BRENNA! Oh how I wish I could have been there to see it happen! I am so glad that you did well at your game! Did you win??

    ReplyDelete