Saturday, January 26, 2013

Perhaps It's Not a Trend

Well, well. All be derned. Apparently this "eating healthy" and "burning calories" and "just say no" (to desserts) is a trend that may stick around. I've wondered for the last twenty years if it was just a trend that would fade away, kind of like avocado-colored appliances or orange shag carpet. 

I think, however, it just might be the real deal. I'm a believer because, by golly, it's actually WORKING! I finally got up the nerve to step back on the scale, and.....I've lost 10 pounds in 15 days! Brad took me to his office so I could weigh myself on a reliable scale. Ah. such a relief to see some progress. Still a chunk-a-lump to go, but it's moving in the right direction!

Speaking of scales, I've always been one who takes my shoes off at the doctor before I step on the scale. I try to dress in lighter weight clothes on a day I am being weighed. And I also wonder if all that matters. Last time I went to the doctor, I asked if it mattered. They assured me it didn't really matter, they were just looking for "trends" and dramatic changes. I believed them. But today I experimented a little with the scale. I weighed myself without my shoes and jacket. Then I put my shoes on the scale: .9 pounds! Brad's shoes were 1.4 pounds. My jacket was .4 pounds. So, yeah, those items matter. I made a note to myself in permanent marker in my mind: slip off your shoes, jacket, and anything other that would hinder the scale from being truthful. I may just offer to put on the paper gown and head down the hall next time.

Speaking of paper gowns: did I ever tell you about the time that the receptionist at my doctor's office mistakenly scheduled me for my girlie appointment two months before I was due for it? I questioned her, thinking it should be October, not August, but she assured me I was due in August. So I went. There I am, sitting on the paper sheet, draped in a paper gown, when my doctor walked in and said they realized I was there two months early. So we spent 10 minutes chatting about my kids and his new grandbaby and then I got dressed and went home, realizing I had shaved my legs for nothing.

Enough tangents:  In the last two weeks, I have baked peanut butter chocolate chip cookies for Brad's office, and I didn't even lick the beater. Not a drop. And then I made two pies for work and I didn't have even a flake of coconut. I know a day will come when I don't have to be so restrictive, but I also know myself very well. Getting my taste buds all tingly with excitement is a slippery slope. I do not trust myself enough right now to be good, so I'm not even allowing a lick of cookie dough.

I have, though, found some fun substitutions. As I write this, I am sipping along on a strawberry slushy that's made from frozen strawberries, a frozen banana, and some diet 7-Up. Sweet and cool and going down quite happily. I also made some "Skinny Monkey Cookie Bites" that I LOVE. I ate two last night when I needed something sweet and I had the calories available, then froze the rest. Next time I need a "cookie fix" they are there for me. There's something nice about knowing I can get a little chocolate fix in the form of a "cookie". Pinterest has been good to me.

In case you need a little sweet spot in your life, and want to try these little Skinny Monkeys, here's a recipe for you:

Please excuse the frosted, poorly photographed little darlings.  I pulled them from the freezer to take their picture, and they were none too pleased with me.


Skinny Monkey Cookie Bites

3 ripe bananas
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla

Mash the bananas in a bowl, then add remaining ingredients and mix well. Let batter stand for 20 minutes. Drop by teaspoonful onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 9 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack to cool. Eat one or two and then get them into a freezer bag and get 'em frozen before you eat them all. Just in case you are weak like me! *I used quick cooking oats, because it's what I had on hand.  I think they would be better with the old-fashioned oats...a little meatier and chewier.  I also used Special Dark cocoa, so mine are a bit more bitter-sweet and darker than the recipe intended, but that's how I like 'em.) 

2 comments:

  1. LEANNE CARLSON, 10 POUNDS???? Good job girl, boy when you set yourself to a challenge, BOOM she goes and conquers, I say champion you are. Ok....I must though mention, remember our little discussion? Now, try weighing yourself nude and in the morning. Take another note...'it does make a difference' Hahaha! Anyway, way to be so tough, proud of you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock! And I'm sure the cookies do too, but I'm not much of a chocolate fan! I know, I know! UnAmerican!
    Keep up the good work!

    A. Claudia

    ReplyDelete