Thursday, January 3, 2013

Butter Has Met Its Match ~ Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies

Here's the thing.  I am a BUTTER girl.  Not margarine.  Not Crisco.  Certainly not Oleo or lard.  I shudder at the thought!  Butter.  All.  The.  Way.  Cookies are best with butter.

Until about two hours ago, I would not have swayed the slightest from that.  But now?  I have been made a believer in a new way to add the fat to my cookies.  And it is divine.  Di-VINE!

And what has won by heart?  Coconut oil.  Yes, coconut oil.  Thanks, in part, to Pinterest, I have become quite smitten with coconut oil.  I love to use it as a moisturizer.  I have made sugar scrubs with it and loved it.  I have slathered it onto myself and loved it.  I have used it sparingly in cooking and loved it.  So when I stumbled upon a chocolate chip cookie recipe that used coconut oil instead of butter, I was intrigued.  Tonight I tried it, and I wholeheartedly, without reservation, encourage you to embrace this cookie with coconut oil.  You can search coconut oil if you aren't familiar with it and read all about the wonder-claims.  I love it's texture, smell, feel, and taste.  The cookies?  MOIST, I tell you. They are soft and luscious and chewy and fragrant and stunningly delicious.  I challenge you to try these!!

I buy my coconut oil at Trader Joes, though I'm sure you can find it all over.



Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup coconut oil
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Beat coconut oil, eggs, and sugar until well combined.  Add remaining ingredients and combine well.  Place large scoops of dough onto cookie sheet, without overcrowding the cookie sheet.  I did only 8 cookies per sheet.

Bake at 375 for 10 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges and middle is set.  Don't, for the love of all, overbake these (or any) cookies.

Let cool on cookie sheets for 2-3 minutes, then remove to cooling rack.

Then just sit back and enjoy these.  Your taste buds will dance and get all giggly, and you will feel all warm and happy and peaceful inside.  You think I jest?  Try and see for yourself!

5 comments:

  1. I am a believer, these are so good! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo, I just placed these babies into the oven! I haven't the vocabulary to express just how thrilled I am! We have been using high quality coconut oil for about eight years now & its applications are limitless! I used Bob's Red Mill unbromated unbleached white flour, Enjoy Life semi sweet chocolate chips which are dairy, nut, & soy free, Rumford aluminum free baking powder, & Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Crystals for a sugar replacement! I have no doubt my substitutions will yield anything but pure goodness! I have been craving chocolate chip cookies for two days now & am so glad I decided to look up a new recipe... leading me to yours! Our daughter is teething, going through a growth spurt, & nursing NON STOP! This is exactly what I need! My cure all! A panacea... Behold... The Chocolate Chip Cookie!
    Sincere Thanks for sharing your recipe!
    Love & Light ~ Peace & Bright Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited to find this recipe. Just made them. So easy and good. Thanks a million!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sad. . . I've had cookies with coconut oil before and the flavor is incredible. But, these tasted like plastic. Very bland. It may be because they don't call for any vanilla flavoring. ugh. disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG those look so good!

    ReplyDelete