Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Chicken Taco Supreme

I am loving my crockpot these days.  Again.  I even may have a bit of a dependency issue with her.  But, man, do I love the freedom of throwing stuff into her belly in the morning and then coming home to a house that smells yummy with dinner about 85% ready.  She's so good to me like that.

It's especially delightful when I find a recipe that is healthy for all of us.  And when all 5 of us love it?  10,000 bonus points.

So I found a couple similar recipes on Pinterest, and decided to try them.  But then I didn't have all the same things and wanted to add other things, and before I knew it a new dinner favorite was born! 

In case you are wanting a fast, easy dinner to feed a crowd (or a few), you might want to give this a try...



Crockpot Chicken Taco Supreme

4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 packets taco seasoning
juice of 3 limes
half of a large bunch of Cilantro (add more than seems reasonable, you'll be glad)
1 - 1 1/2 cups water

Put all this into your crockpot, cook on low for 8 hours.  At that time, use a large fork to shred the chicken and stir everything around.

Add in any of these:
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups frozen corn
1 large can olives, sliced

To serve, place in tortillas and add chopped tomatoes, chopped avocados, salsa, sour cream, cheese, or whatever you like on a taco.

In keeping with my good-girl habits lately, I just put a scoop of the meat mix onto a big bed of lettuce, added the tomatoes and avocado, and it was a tasty, tasty taco salad!  I didn't even need dressing, the juices from the meat took care of that!

You could always do the same thing with smaller quantities, of course.  This amount fed my whole family with lots left over for lunches or for me to freeze for another dinner!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment