Saturday, February 27, 2010

Cookie Experiment ~ Coconut Kisses

I had the bug to experiment today.  It all started when I came upon a cookie recipe that is very similar to my sister's sugar cookie.  LOVE this sugar cookie, and this one was so close to it, but with a surprising addition:  pudding!  A long time ago, my favorite way to make chocolate chip cookies was with pudding added, so I knew it could work.  I've since moved on from that, though I'm not sure why.  So when I saw this recipe, I was so intrigued to try it.

I also found something last week that really made me happy.  Coconut Creme Hershey Kisses.  Oh.  My.  So very good.  I do wish they were dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate, but other than that they made me very happy.  So I've been wanting to find a fun way to use them. 

Those two worlds collided today when I decided to make these sugar cookies, but using coconut pudding, and topping them with a Coconut Creme Hershey Kiss!  Well, they turned out fairly well.  They look more like a thumbprint cookie than a Kiss cookie, but they are sure yummy anyway!  I think I will enjoy a couple or few of these tomorrow with something hot to drink.  After the run, of course. 



Coconut Kiss Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup vegetable oil (I know, I know)
1 cup sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 3.4 oz. box instant coconut pudding (I actually used the cook kind)
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar
4 cups flour
1 bag Coconut Creme Hershey Kisses, unwrapped of course

In large bowl, beat together butter, oil and sugars until fluffy and creamy.  Blend in pudding, eggs and vanilla.  Combine soda, cream of tartar and flour; add gradually to mixture, stirring until combined well.

Drop (with cookie scoop) onto cookie sheet.  (I used my smaller scoop, about 1 1/4 inch balls.)  Bake at 350 for 10 - 12 minutes, or until edges are just lightly brown.  Remove from oven and immediately press a kiss into the center of each cookie.  Let cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then remove to cooling rack. 

These take awhile for the kisses to set back up.  Mine sank down flat before they set up, making them look just like a thumbprint cookie.  That was fine with me, because I got a better chocolate to cookie ratio!



Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I think you may be the only other person I know that talks about chocolate ratio. It is important -- glad to know there is someone else out there that considers this. :)

    ReplyDelete