Monday, September 19, 2011

The Cliff Notes Version

Too little time, so Cliff Notes to the rescue!  The weekend:

*We had a thoroughly wonderful weekend away together.  I got a text at work on Wednesday, Brad surprising me with news that he'd booked us a room in Portland and we were going away for the night.  He told me he was working out all the plans for the kids.  Sweet!  It was so hard for me not to take charge of the kid portion, knowing that Saturday schedules are nuts around here.  But he did a great job and I'm so thankful for the time we had together.  Beautiful jacuzzi suite...quiet....alone.  It was a lovely way to celebrate our anniversary!  I packed in such a frenzy after a football game Saturday morning, I didn't bring even a hair brush.  Left some important things at home, but we managed to do just fine.  I didn't even bring my camera, which is extraordinarily unlike me.  The only picture I took with the phone was the chocolate cake we had for dessert Saturday night.  Scrumptious.

*The only downer of the weekend?  An unfortunate run-in with the hand rail to a stair case in a parking garage that happened while the coordinator of the weekend was backing into a parking space.  Crunch.  Big crunch involving the trunk and bumper of his cute little car.  Sickening feeling.  A very unintended souvenir from our romantic weekend.

*And what is it with men and backing into parking spaces? I truly think it's a testosterone driven NEED in a man...don't get me started.  We have talked about this for so long, and I've totally given up feeling any need to even discuss it.  I just put my head down and don't look when he's backing up.  So this situation unfortunately gives great fuel to my side of the debate.  Geez, I could do a whole post on this topic. And I have a couple people in my life who get all worked up about stereotypes and they get very indignant about the whole thing.  And I don't really care anymore.  Sometimes stereotypes are accurate, sometimes they are not.  Fair enough?

*I finally got to see Powells Books!  I loved it as much as I hoped I would.  It was worth the harrowing trip into the parking garage (different from the previously mentioned parking garage). Steep uphill, turning a sharp corner, and one lane for entering and exiting.  The attendant assured us he never sent someone up when he knew someone was coming down.  Aw, geez. Another topic that could consume one whole post!  Back to books:  amazing store.  I spent two and a half hours and only saw one-third of the store.  Never got to the "Rare book room" that I had hoped to see.  The cooking section alone is amazing.  Used books mingled in with the new, so there were very well-loved copies of Julia Child's cookbooks that were so fun to thumb through.  Stained pages, well-worn corners. Loved it.  Made me a bit sad to see cook books that had been written in and lovingly inscribed.  I would love to know the story behind those books, what kind of life they'd led.

*We treated ourselves to a Fall drink from Starbucks for the road.  When we hit the freeway and I picked up my cup, I noticed it felt a bit light.  They had only filled it 2/3 full!  Why do they do that??  Irritated me, for no other reason than I don't do those indulgent ones very often anymore.  And when I do?  Load 'er up!

*The girls went from last Saturday, cheering in the hot sun, 90 degrees and sweating, to this Saturday, Beth in pelting rain and wind, fingers turning purple...and those girls smiled the whole way through.  Troopers.  Then Brenna cheered 2 games in the drizzle (?), the last going into double overtime and leaving Brenna to "not really care anymore who won the game, just wanting it over."  Been there, my dear.

*I watched just enough of the Emmy's last night to remind myself what a sap I am.  I saw the tribute to all those who died over this last year.  To see those faces...Mr. Cunningham?  June Cleaver?  Creator of my beloved Brady Bunch???  I will admit...set to the background of a beautiful song, I cried.  Real tears came down my cheeks.

*Alex had set a goal for Saturday's cross country meet:  to run a sub-18, on a 5K course.  His time?  17:56!  Amazing, young man!  Number 5 on the team, still proudly sporting that hard-earned jacket!

*Cancer?  I hate it.  And I mean full-well to use the word "hate".  It is a word that should be reserved for such a vile existence.  Hate it.  So sad for people I know...one who is in the trenches and needs a miracle, one that is just beginning the battle.

*Now it is time to head out into the week.  I am very unprepared for another week to start.  But that's okay.  It will roll along with or without my pre-planning.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, there is alot of processing here. Lots on this girl's mind, lots of happenings. I miss you and look forward to seeing that face of yours.

    ReplyDelete