Friday, September 21, 2012

One Stupid Boot and One Delicious Boot

There's only so much I can say about the reappearance of The Boot.  It was a stupid boot two years ago, and it's a stupid boot again today.



The reason for its return?  As stupid as the boot itself.

Twas a romantic walk on the beach.  That's it.  On our anniversary.  Beautiful sunshine, soft warm sand.  A long, long beautiful walk.  Barefoot.  And apparently that's all it took.  The next day my foot was swollen and bruised and wickedly painful.

It's some sort of ligament sprain or something, related to the cuboid area or something irritating.  So the boot for two weeks, hopefully not a day longer.  It's already getting better, and I am walking lopsided and loud and everything I despise about the boot.

Anyway, onto better topics!

We had a low-key Friday night at home.  Snuggly blanket, pizza for dinner, girls chilling out together.  And it was the perfect evening to make cookies.  So I tried a new recipe...and good gracious!  These are yuuuuumy!  I think they may be my new favorite cookie, for now.



I found this recipe on Pinterest, and it is credited to Laura Bush.  I find it interesting that these have the word "cowboy" in the title.  Cowboy boots.  My boot.  Boots are the theme.  It's meant to be.

Laura Bush's Texas Governor's Mansion Cowboy Cookies

3 cups flour
1 TBSP baking powder
1 TBSP baking soda
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 TBSP vanilla
3 cups chocolate chips (I used 1/2 dark chocolate and 1/2 semi-sweet)
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (I used quick cooking, all I had and was great.)
2 cups sweetened flaked coconuts
2 cups finely chopped pecans (I used just shy of this)

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

In a second large bowl, beat butter until smooth.  Add the sugar and brown sugar and beat for at least 2 minutes, until fluffy and creamed.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add vanilla and mix to combine.

Stir in the flour mixture, blending until just combined.  Add the chips, oats, coconut, and pecans and stir until fully blended.

Drop by large tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet...do not overcrowd!  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are set and golden brown.  Allow cookies to cool on the pan for 2 minutes, then remove to cooling rack.

It's a great weekend for cookies...finally some perfectly wonderful Fall weather settling in, just in time.  Makes my heart happy!

 

2 comments:

  1. Just made these yesterday. Yummy.
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. LEANNE, so sorry you are back in the boot again. I'm glad you found a little something to soothe your hurting self. yum!

    ReplyDelete