Monday, November 15, 2010

Monday Menu ~ I'm Hungry NOW!!

So here's the thing.  Most of the time, when I get hungry, I'm HUNGRY.  I do not feel it creep up slowly.  I do not feel a little bit hungry.  I am, at any given time, one of three things:  1.  Satisfied.  2.  Full.  or 3.  HUNGRY.

It is no fun to be the person who is with me when I hit number 3.  I get C.R.A.N.K.Y.  Almost panicky, even.  Some people wait until they get hungry, then start the discussion about what they should eat, what sounds good, what everyone else "feels like".  I just don't get that at all.  At the point I get hungry, I cannot have a conversation about what sounds good.  I just need to EAT.  That must sound horribly immature and selfish and like I have no ability to be patient and delay any gratification.  While all that may be true, I know this specific issue is a completely physical reaction for me.

With that in mind, I have to make sure I am prepared for that moment to strike.  I usually can prevent the panic by paying attention to when I'm eating.  But somedays I will forget to eat, or be busy and skip right by when I should have eaten or whatever.  And if I've had a day like that and then I run without eating...watch out.  My insides will scream in protest. 

So lately I have discovered a new love that I like to keep in the house for when this moment strikes.  It is too early to tell if this is a passing phase or not, but I don't think so.  And I really think you need to try this, because it is just so very yummy!

(I had to ramble on with all that intro, because otherwise this "recipe" sounds like something you'd say "Are you kidding??" to, and I felt that I had to defend it.)


Tomato/Alfredo Pasta

1 jar of your favorite tomato pasta sauce (I like Prego traditional heart-smart)
1 jar of prepared Alfredo sauce (I like Bertolli)
Pasta (I like thin spaghetti or angel hair)

Combine pasta sauce and Alfredo sauce.  Heat on stovetop or microwave, serve over pasta. 


That's it.  I know, but it's so yummy and quickly filling.  It tastes a little bit like cream of tomato soup without the strong acidity that makes your throat burn.  If, you know, you are one whose throat burns when you eat tomato soup.

I like to keep a bowl of the sauce in the fridge so if the "mood" strikes I can quickly have some.  It also makes a great packable lunch!

Of course if you want to make it a full meal deal, you can just add in a salad and some great garlic bread and you've got yourself a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment