Friday, May 15, 2009

National Chocolate Chip Day & Flashback Friday!

Happy National Chocolate Chip Day!!

No, I'm not kidding. Apparently May 15th is National Chocolate Chip Day. I was running on the treadmill this morning, watching The Today Show, and this was the most important thing I learned. I was very close to hopping off the treadmill and eating some chocolate chips to celebrate, but I convinced myself that there were many hours left in the day. First things first, right?! And considering how much of my beloved blog is devoted to chocolate chips in some way or another, I thought it would be absolutely shameful to not acknowledge the day here. So, I have no choice but to make some of my favorite chocolate chip cookies today. I'm hoping you will join me in celebrating this day...even if it's only by eating a few chips. Or a handful. Or whatever.

I searched my distracted mind for some flashback that would be suitable for National Chocolate Chip Day. (I just love saying that!! You have no idea how happy that makes me!) Anyway, what came to the front of my mind was the memory of making chocolate chip cookies with my Grandpa. I would go stay with my grandparents on their farm in Eastern Washington for a couple weeks every summer. Grandpa would get into his old Ford pickup and drive to the grocery store just about every afternoon. It was more for the social networking than the food, but he did love his sweets. We'd bounce down the road in his truck, windows down...no need for the radio, Grandpa whistled all his own music. "Blue Heaven", over and over. He'd slow down and wave to every single person we passed. He'd drive on the wrong side of the road, "to miss all those potholes", he'd tell me. But sure enough, on the way home he also drove on the wrong side of the road...so we hit all those potholes coming home. At the store, he and I would pick out some kind of packaged cookie together. Usually it ended up being the generic vanilla and chocolate sandwich cookies or Chip Ahoy. Usually at least once while I was there we would also buy a roll of Nestle Tollhouse Cookie Dough so we could go home and "make our own." I don't remember Grandpa's cookie jar ever being empty. Every day he ate cookies. We have a bond, for sure.



Grandpa's been gone now for 11 years, but I'm sure he'd be very proud to know that the love of cookies continues on in his family. So...Happy Chocolate Chip Day to Grandpa Bryan!!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! A grandpa and chocolate chips all rolled into one.

    ReplyDelete