Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookies ~ with Cream Cheese?

Alright, let's lighten things up, shall we?  Topics, I mean, referring to my last post.  Not lighten things up as in these cookies.  Let's be real:  chocolate chip cookies really should be cookies.  Not lightened up, healthified, or nutritionally sound.  There cookies.  Eat them.  In moderation, of course, but just eat them the way they were meant to be...as cookies.  I'm slightly intrigued with people's idea of adding beans and things to chocolate chip cookies in an attempt to make them healthier.  But then, I really prefer to let beans be beans...in burritos and in chili and soup.  And I just can't defile a chocolate chip cookie in that way.  That's just me.

So, in perusing Pinterest, I came across a recipe that caught my eye.  Really, I read every chocolate chip cookie recipe I come across.  Some capture me, some don't.  These did.  So I made them, with just a couple tweaks.  And they are really, REALLY, good.  They are a very soft, yet firm cookie.  Dense.  Flavorful.  Rich.  "I must have a tall glass of cold milk" kind of good.  The intriguing ingredients?  Cornstarch and cream cheese.  Don't let this turn you away.  The cream cheese gives them a soft texture, but not a cream-cheesey flavor.

They have been taste-tested by 3 out of 5 Carlsons, and heartily approved by all!  I think that equates to a 100% satisfaction rating.

The original recipe is here.  Mine is below with just a couple minor tweaks.



Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup cream cheese (block-style, softened)
1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 cups chocolate chips, any variety you like.  (I used 1 cup dark chocolate, 1/2 cups semi-sweet)

Beat together butter, cream cheese, sugars, egg, and vanilla.  Beat for a few minutes, until light, fluffy and cream cheese is fully-incorporated.

Add cornstarch, soda, and flour.  Mix just until combined.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.  Using a large cookie scoop (2 inch), scoop 8 large dough balls onto each cookie sheet.  With your fingers, press balls down to form disks, making sure to keep the thickness even.  Press down the center of the disk just a tad.

Refrigerate cookie sheets for 1 to 2 hours.  (Don't skip this step.)

Bake at 350 for 9 -11 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned and the centers have lost the "doughy shine".  Allow to cool a few minutes on the cookie sheets, then remove to wire racks.



De-lish!!

No comments:

Post a Comment